[Gimp-developer] Re: Re: Tensor (= 2-D) Gradients - continued

On 31 May 2001, Bernhard Herzog wrote:

> Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > My plan up to this moment is to have the following program:
> >
> > 1. Write a Public-Domain Library in ANSI C (perhaps dependant on some
> > external libraries) that can be used to render those gradients based on
> > their guides.
>
> That's the most important part and may be all that Sketch would really
> need.
>
> Is it possible to put code into the public domain in Israel? European
> copyright law (which does not apply to Israel) does not allow that for
> instance.

Frankly, I don't know whether Israeli Law allows that. For that matter, I
did not know that European law did not allow such a thing, so this comes
as a surprise for me.

In any case, assuming I cannot release code under the public domain, can't
I transfer it to the copyright of an American, who will in turn release it
under the public-domain?

In the worst case I'll release it under a multiple license of MIT-X/BSD
(Without the publicizing clause)/LGPL / etc...

> > 2. Write a Public-Domain GUI Editor in Gtk+ that can be used to
> > interactively edit and display those gradients.
> >
> > 3. Create Gimp PDB entries to control and manipulate those gradients.
> >
> > 4. Integrate all of them with the GIMP, while making part of the code
> > of the glue GPLed.
> >
> > This is of-course, assuming the project will be accepted, and if my future
> > partner agrees with this scheme.
> >
> > Can Sketch use C code that is GPLed?
>
> In principle, yes. But it probably won't matter if the parts Sketch
> needs, i.e. the rendering library and perhaps parts of the editor, are
> public domain.
>
> > I know that it is written in Python
> > and that the Python license of the newer Python releases is incompatible
> > with it.
>
> Well, the python license does not apply to programs written in Python,
> but anyway, AFACT the upcoming Python releases (2.2, 2.1.1, 2.0.1) will
> have a license that is indeed GPL compatible. The lates changes to the
> LICENSE file in Python CVS removed the offending clauses.

That's good.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

>   Bernhard
>
> --
> Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
> Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
> MapIt!                                               http://mapit.de/

Shlomi Fish        shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home E-mail:       shlomif@xxxxxxxxxx

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.