[Gimp-developer] Re: Tensor (= 2-D) Gradients - continued

On 30 May 2001, Bernhard Herzog wrote:

> Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > In continuation to my interest in two-dimensional gradients, I have
> > downloaded the Postscript Red Book and tried to look for it for
> > information on how to generate the so-called Tensor Gradients.
> >
> > However, I could not find it in the index or the contents, and I'd like to
> > know where exactly it is. I realize I'll probably have to learn more about
> > the Postscript langauge to fully understand how to generate them. However,
> > I would like to know their position in the text too, so I'll know what
> > exactly I need to learn.
>
> All the shading variants are described in Section 4.9.3, p. 259ff. Most
> interesting here are probably the Coons patches and
> Tensor-Product-Meshes, starting at p. 277 and 283 respectively.

Thanks for the information.

> If you actually produce some code, it would be nice if you could do it
> as a library that can be used outside of Gimp, too. I want to have those
> shadings in Sketch someday too, and a such a library would help very
> much.

My plan up to this moment is to have the following program:

1. Write a Public-Domain Library in ANSI C (perhaps dependant on some
external libraries) that can be used to render those gradients based on
their guides.

2. Write a Public-Domain GUI Editor in Gtk+ that can be used to
interactively edit and display those gradients.

3. Create Gimp PDB entries to control and manipulate those gradients.

4. Integrate all of them with the GIMP, while making part of the code
of the glue GPLed.

This is of-course, assuming the project will be accepted, and if my future
partner agrees with this scheme.

Can Sketch use C code that is GPLed? I know that it is written in Python
and that the Python license of the newer Python releases is incompatible
with it. In any case, I will try to make as much as the code as possible,
distributable under the public domain, so there shouldn't be any problem
there.

But first, I'll have to start learning how to render those gradients.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

>   Bernhard
>
> --
> Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
> Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
> MapIt!                                               http://mapit.de/

Shlomi Fish        shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home E-mail:       shlomif@xxxxxxxxxx

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.