[Gimp-developer] Use of PHP-templates @ new Gimp.org

Hello,

Being a web-developer, I recently followed most of the discussion about the
new Gimp.org-website.
So I also read some people mentioned PHP's spaghetti-like nature. However, I
also like to state that using PHP will enable a lot more programmers to be
able to contribute. Perhaps their should be more quality-control, but I
definitely think we should go for PHP (and MySQL). There are really much
applications available for PHP (and MySQL), most of the websites are moving
from Perl to PHP. That should have a reason, don't you think ?!? Just see
the usage-charts at php.net/usage.php

Enough PHP-advocacy for now: today I found the updated PHP-HOWTO by the LDP
(linuxdoc.org). It interestingly had a paragraph about "PHP Template
Engines". See the quote below:

<quote>
- "Smarty Template Engine": is a template engine for PHP. One of the unique
aspects about Smarty that sets it apart from other templating solutions is
that it compiles the templates into native PHP scripts upon the first
invocation. After that, it merely executes the compiled PHP scripts.
Therefore, there is no costly template file parsing for each request. See
Smarty QuickStart and docs about Smarty are at
http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/docs. Get if from
http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty

- "Fast Template":
http://curtisonline.net/theme/phpfast-templates-HOWTO.html or
http://www.thewebmasters.net/

- "VH Layout": http://www.vhconsultants.com and also read
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/zhang19990610.php3
</quote>

If some people are concerned about PHP and spaghetti, then please consider
using one of these engines on the server. This will enable the large
PHP-community to contribute to Gimp.org and will hopefully prevent those
Italian food from appearing throughout the code. It will also make updating
the
BTW, for updating the site we could also consider using some kind of a
Content Management System (CMS). There are lots of them available and they
make updating the site less painless and more enjoyable...

Greetings,

Martijn Weisbeek
operator of Dutch PHP-community (http://internet.clubs.nl/php)
personal webpage: http://weisbeek.cjb.net