Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Re: [Gimp-developer] What's going on in gimp-print land

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:21:56AM +0000, Austin Donnelly wrote:
> I expect that Debian (and other distributions) will ship a copy of the
> print plugin and the relevant shared library as separate packages,
> with appropriate dependencies between them.  This means that the only
> people who will have a statically linked print plugin will be those
> who build and install from source - ie those on weird architectures,
> or testing non-standard stuff.  This seems to cover the cases
> correctly, in my view.

I have added a 'gimp-dist' target to the root Makefile.am. This does a
'make dist' but then removes all the unwanted cruft from distdir before
packaging. Once I've brushed up on my sed, it should parse configure.in,
Makefile.am, src/Makefile.am and man/Makefile.am to make a distribution
that can be dropped into the GIMP tree and just work.

This requires a modification to the GIMP configure.in:
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(plug-ins/print)
in order to run our configure with the root configure's cache. It's possible
to merge all the functionality into the GIMP configure.in, but it's simpler
and cleaner to keep them separate.

configure now checks if it's in the GIMP tree, and makes library building
conditional if this is the case. I've not made print link statically yet, as
I'm not sure of the cleanest way of implementing it (I want to be able to
still dynamically link if I choose). Checking for e.g. the presence of the
debian directory is not a solution as it's part of GIMP CVS.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **