Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Re: [Gimp-developer] What's going on in gimp-print land

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 02:13:28PM +0000, Austin Donnelly wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 Feb 2001, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> > This would total four (libgimpprint and associated tests, the
> > plugin, the CUPS driver, and the Ghostscript driver), plus possibly
> > other packages for things like Debian and RPM packaging.
>
> Well, maybe just 3:
>   libgimpprint
>   print plugin (both of these manually imported to gimp cvs)
>   CPUS + Ghostscript drivers
>
> Does the Debian maintainer have any comments how he/she would like to
> see it packaged?

The GIMP maintainer?

Currently the GIMP-Print source is made into 5 packages:
gimp1.2-print
cupsys-driver-gimpprint
libgimpprint
libgimpprint-dev
escputil

Well, I've had a think about this. Due to the way the source is now,
splitting it up won't be too painful. Some things to consider that all
of the parts of the source use lib/libprintut.h. This would have to be
replicated in all of the separate bits. Also, some bits use the same
message catalogue for translations, though this could be changed. In
particular, CUPS genppd will want to use the gimp-print catalogues, but
could use installed versions.

I don't see any problem with making a static library when part of the
GIMP source, but another possibility would be to conditionally build the
shared library. The macro AM_PATH_GIMPPRINT in configure.in will check
for an installed libgimpprint version >= the source version. If this
criterion is not met, then a warning is given, and the included copy is
built instead. This is what happens right now. By adding a check to see
whether it's distributed with the GIMP, you won't need to specify
--disable-libgimpprint to configure, and it will be automatic. If you
wished this could also require it to be linked -static.