Re: RFC: The future of The GIMP

Sven Neumann wrote:
> Please keep in mind that the main intention of our proposal has been to
> better distribute work between core and plug-in developers by seperating
> the source trees during development. Perhaps this scheme could be translated
> to distribution too, but it does not have to. If we decide to continue to
> distribute an awful lot of plug-ins with The GIMP as we do know, we can
> always put them all into one tarball at release time. Or several smaller
> tarballs, or a single for each plug-in ...
>
> Salut, Sven

All true, but then the problem is that non-technical users have to wait
for someone (or their favourite distribution) to package new plugins.
IE, let's say I write a new plugin, put it on plugins.gimp.org in source
form. Then Joe User can't use it until Red Hat releases an updated rpm,
which may take a while. With the automatic building the plugin is
instantly available.

For distributing, this makes sense, but what about updates? I don't
think anyone would want to download a whole new tarball just to get one
new plugin. And if you're going to do separate tarballs, then what's
wrong with also creating a standard automated way to build and install
them?

Lourens