Re: Important feature to add: 16-bit greyscale

Carey;

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 02:12:09PM -0400, Carey Bunks wrote:
> >>   I maintain my own web site, Resonator Software.  While writing a HTML
> >>   page, I wanted to use my black background logo as a background for this
> >>   page, but I wanted a white version.  The logo is here:
> >>
> >>   http://www.ResonatorSoft.com/colorwave.jpg
>
> Brendan,
>
> I think I've achieved what you want with a simpler, and hopefully
> cleaner result.  You be the judge.
>
> Here are the steps I took:
>
> 1) Open colorwave.jpg.
> 2) Open the Layers and Channels dialog by typing C-l in the image window.
> 3) Create a new layer above the colorwave logo.  Make the new layer white.
> 4) Set the blending mode of the new layer to "Difference".
> 5) Flatten the image by right clicking in the Layers and Channels dialog
>    box.
> 6) Open <Image>/Image/Colors/Hue-Saturation and position the Hue slider
>    to 180 (with the Master radio button selected).

Ooh, good thinking - but difference-with-white-layer is equivalent to
"Invert" so we can condense steps 2-5 getting:
    Open image
    <Image>/Image/Colors/Invert
    <Image>/Colors/Hue-Saturation Hue => 180

The results of the two procedures is pixel-for-pixel identical, so
someone must be doing something right somewhere in the GIMP.

Cheers,

Tom

--
--   Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/
--  "It's Like A Warzone, Deep Inside Of Me / When My Mind Becomes My Enemy"