Important feature to add: 16-bit greyscale

I maintain my own web site, Resonator Software.  While writing a HTML
page, I wanted to use my black background logo as a background for this
page, but I wanted a white version.  The logo is here:

http://www.ResonatorSoft.com/colorwave.jpg

Normally, a simple inverse would work fine if you weren't worried about
the colors, but I wanted to retain the same colors.  Therefore, the best
solution is to split the picture into HSL, invert the luminance, and combine
them back together.

There's where I run into my first problem: there is no HSL option on the
(de)compose dialog.  There's a HSV, but value is very difference from
luminance.  I'd like a HSL option.  The luminance seems relatively easy, given
the standard RGB to greyscale formula.  (Then again, perhaps it's slightly
different.  I know that Paint Shop Pro does it right.)

Fine, so I spend ten minutes loading up my damn Windoze partition and fire up
PSP.  I split the image, invert the luminance, and recombine.  That's the second
problem: not enough detail on the HSL images.  See, hue relies on a 360-degree
color wheel, but a 8-bit greyscale only goes up to 255.  If the greyscale was
16-bit, hue would have plenty of room to fractionalize in.

There could be other uses for 16-bit greyscale in the future (Ted Turner style
recolorization of greyscale images?), but that's one definate use for it right
now.

--
Brendan Byrd AKA SineSwiper (SineSwiper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Computer techie, PERL hacker, and all-purpose Internet guru