Re: Bluesky ideas of the week

Garry;

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 08:09:27PM -0400, Garry R. Osgood wrote:
> Marc Lehmann wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 01:16:39PM -0400, Tom Rathborne <tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > At SIGGRAPH I saw "Corel Network Painter" or something like that
> > > in action.  Basically there were a bunch of people all painting
> > > on the
> >
> > Something like emacs' opening multiple views on different
> > DISPLAY's?
> >
> > Can gtk+ do that?
>
> One display server-specific thing that gets built into a particular
> compilation of GTK+-1.2.8 are choices about Xinput implementation,
> via the  GTK--xinput configuration switch. Not sure how events sort
> out when one instance of GTK is faced with different flavors of
> Xservers with different tablet drivers that map their valuators into
> XEvents differently.  I don't think that emacs has to deal with
> anything beyond core pointers and keyboards and is insulated from
> the XInput morass.

What? You can't use multiple pressure-sensitive styluses in emacs?
I'm surprised ... I thought emacs did everything.

> Tom? What was the mix of hardware?  Or were all the platforms
> uniform?

It was in the CAL and I think it was a cluster of Windows machines...
or Macs ... or a mix. I didn't walk all the way around the cluster.
Oops.  I didn't look very closely at how it was working, but it
appeared to me that it was actually a full copy of Network Painter per
machine and they were "sharing" the image somehow. That is, I think
painting and filters were calculated on the client side. Of course I
have nothing with which to back up that supposition. People just
seemed to have realtime feedback on their own machines.

I have no idea how it handled locking/serialization.  The users didn't
need to know and were enjoying their group paint session.  There was
even a text chat window where they were discussing the image.

In any case I think our question needs to be "how would it work best
for the GIMP?". I think a "network tile source" would make sense.
Another argument for abstracting the tile system from GEGL? *grin*

Cheers,

Tom

--
--   Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/
--  "We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears."