Re: gimptool using --prefix for install?

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:08:18AM +0200, Alexander Skwar <ASkwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ? Did I miss something?  Why is it such a bad thing that programs should be
> installable in a user specified place?  And why is RPM broken because of

What you miss is that it's not "installing in a user-specified place" but
"installing it in /usr/bin" but physically copying files somewhere else,
which only rpm needs.

You choose the installation location while configuring the program.

> wouldn't be a problem.  But that is *BAD* as far as creating the rpm file is
> concerned.

At least under linux, you don't need such fragile solutions (any ELF
system provides better measures). You could also use chroot to work on any
unix, although that would be difficult.

> > ;)
> Ah! :-)

Sure!