Re: Plugin -> Cancel -> EXECUTION_ERROR

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 02:59:26PM +0100, Michael Natterer <mitschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While this has no effect in normal plugins, it causes a "save failed"
> message box to appear for all save plugins. I find this really annoying,
> because pressing cancel is just a normal mode of operation, not an
> error.

I'm not completely sure, but since there simply is no way to cleanly
"cancel" plug-ins, it really _is_ an error what is happending, and the
save definitely failed (and might leave all sorts of garbage around!).

> Well, none of the current return values gives gimp a hint that "Cancel"

Bad.

> was pressed. I suggest to add "STATUS_CANCEL" to the enum which
> could be treated specially.

And what's next, "STATUS_DISK_FULL"? That enum shouldn't be taken lightly.
Let's face it: gimp has _no_ way of communicating causes to the caller.
Instead of extending that enum with more-or-less unspecific errors, one
should better extend the system by communicating different error messages.

An obvious extension would be to return another value describing the error
in more detail (I have written quite a bit about that topic earlier).

> As I'm going to look at all the save plugins once more anyway, I offer
> to hack this if nobody objects.

I do. At leats in that form, it look like yet another hack that just needs
to be removed later on.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|