Re: image map trashes image

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 06:45:15PM +0000, Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > one oepration (regardless of which) is being done at the same time. It gets
> > much worse when you do it on the same image.
>
> Are these "bad things" fatal?

It often ends up with gimp spinning in an endless loop or a segfault or
corrupted images (including undo).

> case I can't see that they should be. I remember that context (brushes,
> gradients, palette settings) is global and that can cause problems for
> scripts that _change_ them, but shouldn't for most plug-ins. Is there
> anything else?

Yes, tile access is also not locked. However, most users seem to have
learned that gimp is single-task-per-app for some operations, and
single-task-per-image for almost all operations.

> probably lock this in a future version of Gimp, but even this should not
> cause crashes, and so is not critical for 1.2

The only thing that should be done for 1.2 is to make it stable, yes.

> Or have I missed something dreadful?

Not really. I also think it should work (modulo image corruption), but in
practise it does not seem to behave that nice. But that might be another
bug.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|