Re: GIMP Plug-ins for other Apps? - LGPL for some GIMP modules?

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 11:20:27PM +0200, Tor Lillqvist <tml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think gimpenv.c is in any way unique in this sense, probably
> many of the other files in libgimp also contain code snippets that
> have originally been in some file in the GIMP proper.

It, of course, depends on how large the code snippets are (this topic was
seen on gcc quote often). Also the original author's can do what they
please.

In general, this is bound to lead to problems. As long as all the gimp
developers (and these are many) do not really care this is no problem.

But I am quite sure this practise will bite the project at one time. It
only needs some semi-core developer (doing larger patches than a few
lines) who gets angry, and we are in the situation where libgimp is
effectively GPL (as it is now).

In practise this will not be much of a problem. Non-gpl-compliant plug-ins
are rare, and I do not care wether these drift into illegality or not.
(Wether dynamic linking is linking in the GPL sense is also not at all
clear!).

But I think we should aim for more safe grounds. (I will henceforth
consider libgimp GPL :).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|