Re: Rendering text with gimp_perl and gimp_text

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 08:20:14AM +0100, Martin Treusch von Buttlar <mtvb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is currently only a windows 95 environment for this and I am

Is it commercial (baaaad ;)?

> > > The bottom of ru should be on the same y-pos as the baseline of Äq.
> > While I think it would be a nice option you didn´t really convince me that
> > this is the way to go.
> Why?

Because you can implement both behaviours with the current semantics, but
only one behaviour (yors) with your proposed semantics.

> > > textlayers have the same height now, though ru is still at the top.
> > I get different sized layers.
> Gimp 1.1.7

Maybe this has changed in 1.1.0 (which I'm using currently).

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 04:24:10PM +0100, Martin Treusch von Buttlar <mtvb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Getting the ascent/descent of one font is no problem using
> gimp_text_get_extents. Getting the information if a given string has
> a ascent or descent _is_.

I must have misunderstood your problem: why do you want to know the ascent or
the descent of a given string?

> - "knowing" which letters have a descent|ascent. Bad if you have dif-
>   ferent types of fonts. More important still this knowledge is ex-
>   ternal.

And not even defined.

> - letting the gimp_text_get_extents return two additional fields,
>   namely ($has_ascent,$has_descent).
>
> I favour the last ;)

But that wouldn't help you... wether a given character/string has an
ascent doesn't tell you how much it is (which is what you want to know?)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|