Re: Icons in L&C dialog (and elsewhere)

Thus spoke Olof S Kylander
> Changing icons is not (in my view) a new feature (adding a new tool is).

Depends on how you look at it.  A "new feature" to me is a piece of code
that adds functionality that did not previously exist.  A "feature freeze"
implies "bug fix only mode".   Changing the icons doesn't fit into either
unless the change is being made to make the UI more intuitive.

However, it would be nice if the toolbox and long standing UI features
didn't change much at this point.  First, as was mentioned previously, it
makes it difficult on folks working on texts on the subject.

But beyond that, I've had a number of people recently tell me how they
thought the Gimp's UI was not intuitive (ie difficult to figure out).  I
never thought it was, and these issues have only recently started coming to
my attention.  If the UI changes too much, then it may make migration from
1.0 to 1.2 less appealing.  Thats because the 1.0 books are out and match
the 1.0 interface.  1.2 texts will be delayed (keeping in mind the long
turnaround time for a text from authors final copy to printed text) as they
wait for the UI to settle down.  Users *could* (but not necessarily *will*)
be frustrated to find 1.2 in their latest Linux distributions don't match
the details provided in their texts.  It is, after all, a minor release
(1.0 to 1.2, not 1.0 to 2.0).  Anyway, its just something to consider.

Personally, I think the icon changes in the layers dialog are minor (but
could be more problematic if the changes are carried throughout the UI) and
won't delay any work I'm doing currently.  What bothers me more is the state
of the Toolbox.  The ability to reshape it is interesting, but I'm hoping a
final default configuration is near.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Stress is when you wake up screaming & you