Re: [gimp-user] Re: the mailing list

Nick Lamb (njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Simon Budig wrote:
> > What I would like to have in the mailings, is a reply-to Header to
> >
> > This would make it easier for me to reply. Since normally replies go to
> > the mailing-list (and I dont like getting answers multiple times)
> > this is IMHO the right thing to do.

> Reply-To-List is broken. Either it will kill the only valid return email
> address for some list users, or it will create an inconsistent and very
> confusing behaviour for other users. If this REALLY matters, campaign
> for better List handling in your favourite mail client.

Its not a problem with *my* mailer. I can add the Reply-To: Field
for me with a simple procmail rule. The Problem is: If I write
something to the list and somebody answers to me I normally get
(in 8 of 10 cases) the same mail twice, since the other person
answers directly to me and Cc:s to the list. The pity is:
This fact prevents me from separating private from gimp-devel Mails.
It is virtually impossible to determine (lets say with procmail) if
a mail is a response to a posting to the list, which also reached the
list, or if it is a private reply.

I use mutt and it is really easy for me to handle the current state:
I simply hit "g" for "group reply" and mutt sends the mail to all
recipients. But then of course the original author gets the mail twice...

Putting the only valid address in the "Reply-To:" field is broken.
Those people should correct Mailer-Configuration. Maybe there are reasons
for those configurations, but it should be a solvable problem to put a
working EMail-Adress in the From: Field. Note that - for a fallback -
in almost all cases the author is reachable via the mailinglist.

I personally think of a mailinglist as a open forum, so we should make
it as easy as possible to keep the traffic *in* the forum. And every
mailer should respect the Reply-To header by default, so this is the
IMHO desired behaviour.

Bye,
        Simon

--