Re: swapping

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 02:50:41PM +0200, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I consider this a bug. It's sure very unimpressive for new users.

To make it clear - if the os is unable to distribute load among it's
resources in a fair manner, this is all but a bug in Gimp!

Every such os basically is prone to DoS attacks (and runaway programs) and
not really useful in the real world.

> Would it be possible to detect excessive swapping activity, temporarily
> stop all image activities on the image making the most requests and asking
> whether the user really wants this?

The gimp has no way to detect actual disk accesses. The real fix would
thus be finding better ways to tune the cache size (which is os and
_usage_ dependent, unfortunately).

Honestly I don't think it is possible for the Gimp to detect such cases
reliably _at all_, as this would involve knowledge about the physical
cabling and other hardware-specific information only the OS can know.

The best one could get would be a warning like you describe above that
would have _some_ degree of accuracy (i.e. some people would find it
annoying because its unnecessary, others with broken os's would find
it extremely nice).

Also the choices you are aiming ("do you really want this?") allow not
much responses. In general it is impossible to interrupt some specific
action (image a batching environment) and undo it gracefully. The result
would thus not be different to the user just killing the application,
which he/she can do all the time (unless her os is broken).

It would also make the gimp very unfriendly to scripting environments and
cgi-like applications.

IAW, you can think of it as a bug in gimp, but when you think about it a
bit you will see that the correct place to fix this is elsewhere. Trying
to fix this in gimp would open a can of worms.

(All this is written under the assumption that you re really talking about
monopolizing the disk).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|