Re: `Optimal' palette settings when converting to indexed colours?

Matthew Bloch (mattbee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> After some struggle I got it to work as expected; this may have something
> to do with the fact that I was just guessing :-)  I think the sequence of
> events, taking it from where my RGB image was on a transparent background,
> was *) flatten image, *) add transparent layer, *) select the non-masked
> area of the image, *) cut, *) convert to indexed, *) save as GIF.  And
> then it looked fine.  But it still seems like quite a convoluted way of
> doing quite a common task if you start with an image with a transparent
> background.

Try the <Image>/Filters/Colors/Semiflatten Plugin.

It reduces the Alpha Channel to a one-bit alpha channel and merges
the current Background color in the not fully transparent areas.

Bye,
        Simon

--
      Simon.Budig@xxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/