Re: `Optimal' palette settings when converting to indexed colours?

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Matthew Bloch wrote:

> I've been using the GIMP quite happily to generate GIF titles for my web
> pages. So I've printed some nice anti-aliased red text, clipped it to the
> right size, and try to convert it to an indexed palette, asking for the
> optimal 255 colours.  But what happens is that it makes up a 1 colour
> palette with a single red in, and converts all the soft-edged anti-aliased
> text to a jagged, single colour.  This doesn't strike me as the best use
> of 255 colours, particularly as I don't think there /were/ 255 individual
> different colours in my original RGB image :) Any ideas what I'm doing
> wrong, or is this a long-standing bug, or what?

Your text is on a background of some sort, right? If the rest of the image
is transparent, it will indeed do what you describe, due to the way
transparency works in gif.

I just checked, and it works as expected.

later,
Andrew Kieschnick