`Optimal' palette settings when converting to indexed colours?

I've been using the GIMP quite happily to generate GIF titles for my web
pages. So I've printed some nice anti-aliased red text, clipped it to the
right size, and try to convert it to an indexed palette, asking for the
optimal 255 colours.  But what happens is that it makes up a 1 colour
palette with a single red in, and converts all the soft-edged anti-aliased
text to a jagged, single colour.  This doesn't strike me as the best use
of 255 colours, particularly as I don't think there /were/ 255 individual
different colours in my original RGB image :) Any ideas what I'm doing
wrong, or is this a long-standing bug, or what?

I've peered through the FAQs and mailing list archives, but nobody else
seems to be bothered about this (or am I just being very dim?).  Hope
somebody can help (and keep me in the Cc: line as I don't read this list
too regularly).

cheers,

--
Matthew       ( http://www.soup-kitchen.demon.co.uk/ )