Re: GIMP bug ?

Asbjoern Pettersen wrote:

> Here's a possible GIMP bug discovered in the 1.1.9 OS/2 version:
>
> --------------------
> Hi!
>
> I have a VERY bad bug here - it is 99% not OS/2 but please inform GIMP
> programmers about it.
>
> 1. Open any picture
> 2. Select clone tool "C" - select there to get source from image not from
> pattern
> 3. Ctrl-Click LMB anywhere! Be very accurate now!
> 4. Move pointer 2-3 pixels from old point
> 5. Press LMB and you'll see cursor # 2 is making ugly tracks on image!!
>
> 5 professional painters are using GIMP/2 now - this is one of their first
> annoying bugs found.
> -------------------------------
>
> Asbjorn P.
> * Asbjørn Pettersen           Phone work: +47 77 66 08 91  *
> * Kongsberg Spacetec a.s     Phone home: +47 77674022  *
> *                              Telefax:    +47 77 65 58 59  *
> * Prestvannveien 38          www:http://www.spacetec.no   *
> * N-9005 Tromsoe, Norway     email:ape@xxxxxxxxxxx  *

Gentlepeople,

I have been able to reproduce this bug using a different platform,
IRIX 6.5.4 using SGI 4Dwm, GIMP checkout current
to Friday, Sep .10 19:43 EDT 1999.

It appears the clone tool samples its own sampling cursor; it appears to
matter in what direction one goes after designating
the "sample from" point; traveling 2 or three pixels along an "up," "down",
"left" or "right" direction almost always ensures the capture
of the "sample from" cursor image, ensuring a deposit of its "ghost" at the
"sample-to" point.

The trail of "ghost" sample cursors does not appear to be actually in the
image. Creating any kind of host display exposure event
promotes a refresh that does not restore the artifacts of the sample cursor,
nor can the sample cursor subsequently resample the artifacts, nor do saved
images contain any artifacts. The problem is almost (but not quite) outside
the providence of the application.

Though I haven't looked at the code, I speculate that "in principle" The
Gimp is doing the right thing. Since one can't assume a display manager can
provide more than one hardware cursor, the sampling cursor has to be "soft",
i. e., written into the display. The affected display region has to be
repaired when moving the cursor, and because it isn't a "real" window
manager cursor, it is the Gimp's responsiblity to manage the housecleaning.
It is quite likely that the logic is in place to "remove sample cursor,
sample pixmap, paint offset pixmap, repaint sample cursor...", but latency
in actually repainting the sample cursor upsets the ideal of the repainting
logic, which assumes, perhaps, that repainting happens the instant it asks
for it. Repainting actually happens in the bowels of some kind of window
manager running on some sort of display server - a separate process, with
all kinds of concurrency issues. At this site, the Gimp display happens to
be xhosted to another machine, though the problem persists when the X
display is local to the machine.

That is my idle speculation, untroubled by the existence of mere facts.
Perhaps today I can actually look at what's going on and confirm or demolish
my theory.

Garry R. Osgood