Re: PNG file that crashes both GIMP 1.1 and 1.0

On 2 Sep 1999, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Hey, GIMPers. I've received a bug report with a PNG that crashes GIMP
> with a segfault in the png plugin (both in GIMP 1.0 and 1.1) but that
> XV has no problem with.

This PNG file has been re-created, and the bug identified, the attached
patch fixes this bug but changes PNG loader behaviour slightly, IMHO
this change is for the better but I'm willing to listen to anyone for
whom it has a detrimental effect.

While I was there I also added proper error handling; truncated or
corrupt PNGs are still fatal, but there is now an appropriate message
and partially-loaded images are preserved.

Please apply this patch to CVS Gimp. There will probably be more
patches from me for image loaders over the next few weeks - so if
you have images that don't yet load in Gimp let me know.

Nick.