Re: ...something to value

Marc et al.
On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 09:34:58PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:20:58AM -0400, Adrian Likins <adrian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, there is a difference however. Scripts and bin plugins dont
> > share the same behaviour (especially bin plugins and script-fu
> > scripts).  Script-fu isnt undoable for example.
>
> This is wrong. There are script-fu scripts that are undoable and c
> plug-ins that aren't.
>
> This is a quality of implementation issue, not something that
> depends on the language used. Thus the difference between
> perl/script-fu/c-plug-ins is articifial and doesn't resemble any
> difference except at the source level.

A very good point.

> > random menu item I'm about to execute is a script, a perl plugin,
> > a bin plugin, or other. I have no idea if most users feel the same
> > way however.
>
> Why should a user ever care? For example, should I put the perl
> plug-ins into their own hierarchy? Would you expect from a user to
> search for Filters/Colors/Map to Gradient in the perl subhierarchy,
> but for Filters/Colors/Gradient Map in the "C" hierarchy? Why is
> this useful?

This is also a very good point.

However, I _do_ like to know about the implementation of menu items.
How about different mini-icons in the menus to tell more about the
menu item? Is it script-fu or perl-fu or python-fu or a binary or a
built-in or a module? Is it interactive or not? Is it undoable?

> > of nesting. Of course, then your top level menu would have about
> > 30 menu items in it.
>
> Last I looked, gtk+ can't manage large menus, so this is out anyway.

That's certainly an issue that should be addressed by the GTK+ folks.
Then again, Motif doesn't handle large menus terribly elegantly
either. I'd really like to be able to add a scrollbar to huge tear-off
menus and resize them.

> > In theory, a user just needs to edit pluginrc to move plugins to
> > wherever they want, exclude any they dont like, etc. Of course,
> > there is no gui way to do this, and current behaviour is to add
> > any new plugins on startup, like it or not.
>
> (isn't the pluginrc rewritten on startup? I wouldn't like to have my
> .rc files destroyed because I copied my data to a new disk..)

I think the pluginrc is only rewritten if a new/changed plug-in is
detected ... but don't new/changed plug-ins reset their menu location?

Tom

--
--    Tom Rathborne    tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
--                     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/