Re: ...something to value

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:20:58AM -0400, Adrian Likins <adrian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 	Well, there is a difference however. Scripts and bin plugins dont
> share the same behaviour (especially bin plugins and script-fu scripts).
> Script-fu isnt undoable for example.

This is wrong. There are script-fu scripts that are undoable and c
plug-ins that aren't.

This is a quality of implementation issue, not something that depends on
the language used. Thus the difference between perl/script-fu/c-plug-ins
is articifial and doesn't resemble any difference except at the source
level.

> random menu item I'm about to execute is a script, a perl plugin, a
> bin plugin, or other. I have no idea if most users feel the same way
> however.

Why should a user ever care? For example, should I put the perl plug-ins
into their own hierarchy? Would you expect from a user to search for
Filters/Colors/Map to Gradient in the perl subhierarchy, but for
Filters/Colors/Gradient Map in the "C" hierarchy? Why is this useful?

> of nesting. Of course, then your top level menu would have about
> 30 menu items in it.

Last I looked, gtk+ can't manage large menus, so this is out anyway.

> 	In theory, a user just needs to edit pluginrc to move plugins
> to wherever they want, exclude any they dont like, etc. Of course, there
> is no gui way to do this, and current behaviour is to add any new plugins
> on startup, like it or not.

(isn't the pluginrc rewritten on startup? I wouldn't like to have my .rc
files destroyed because I copied my data to a new disk..)

> > 4 - macro generator to generate script must have more priority
> >
> 	And an almost complete rewrite. Probabaly not
> likely to happen any time soon. In the TODO.

Hmmm.. wouldn't the only thing required the context stuff + the ui would
have to call pdb functions? (Its not a small amount of work, but it certainly
doesn't look like "total rewrite". Do I miss soimething?)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|