Re: ru po generation

Vitaly Lomov (Dienstag, 4. August 2009, 10:43):
> Here is a sample from po/ru/glossary.po from line 99 on. I checked
> where the translation comes from and it's just the next paragraph
> in the original xml file src/glossary/glossary.xml. Is it possible
> to update the toolchain so that english text is put in msgid
> string?
[...]

The script we used when migrating to gettext-based documentation
failed to extract, save, and reuse the glossary translations, I did
never find out why. :-(

I'm afraid you have to correct this file manually... :-(

Remove those non-translations and recreate the file with
	make [-f Makefile.GNU] update-po/ru/glossary.po
to be sure that you don't miss any string. Then take your old glossary
files of the pre-gettext era and try to merge the translations
manually.
Your glossary.po is extremly broken (much worse than e.g. the German
file), so you will probably have to spend one or two hours with
stupid and boring work to fix it -- sorry. :-|

> Another issue is that the russian po directory has filters,menus
> and using, but no other directory, such as dialogs, toolbox, etc.
> Same for the pot directory. I ran 'make pot' and 'make po-ru' many
> times to no avail. Any suggestions?

Since we don't have subdirectories under "src/toolbox/" (yet?),
there's just one huge po file "po/ru/toolbox.po". Same for dialogs,
concepts, using, etc.

> On a side note, and it's not a gripe, I found an example of loss of
> context in po translation. I couldn't translate 'Tab' by itself,
> because I didn't know whether it was a dockable tab or a Tab-key.
> It's a bummer, but not a big issue.

Th po file should contain the source of the text, e.g.
	#: src/key-reference.xml:514(term)
	msgid "Tab"
	msgstr ""
then you can view the src file (or make a guess looking at the file
name).

Ulf