Re: spurious .po updates

Vitaly Lomov (Sonntag, 18. Januar 2009, 16:16):
> After I built the manual, I noticed that a lot of .po files got
> updated (svn status), even though the english text is the same. A
> typical example is this (after running diff):
> -msgid ""
> -"See also <link linkend=\"gimp-concepts-docks\">Dialogs and
> Docking</link>" +msgid "See also <link
> linkend=\"gimp-concepts-docks\">Dialogs and Docking</link>"
>  msgstr ""

The po files will be updated, if and only if the corresponding pot files
has been changed (which will be updated if and only if the xml source
file has been changed).

The above text is obviously from "src/using/docks.xml", which has been
modified on 2009-01-12 (one week ago). That's why it has been updated...

> That is, before the text started on it's own line, now it's with the
> msgid.

... but I can't explain this particular difference. I tried
	touch src/using/docks.xml &&
	make -f Makefile.GNU po/de/using/docks.po
and get
	grep -B1 'See also' po/de/using/docks.po
	msgid ""
	"See also <link ... >Dialogs and Docking</link>"

so here's no such difference.

Which gettext version do you use? Maybe different gettext versions
produce different output? (I have gettext-0.17 installed.)

> If I commit this, people will think I am a prolific writer :)
> and the ChangeLog will not reflect the work I actually did. Any
> suggestions? I am aware that I can update individual po files with
> some Makefile magic, but how can I build the html and avoid the
> problem described?

Hmm, I do not work directly on the SVN working copy, instead I have
another copy on "/tmp" and commit only files I have edited. But we
can't expect everybody to work this way, so it seems that we really have
a problem here...

Bye,
Ulf