Re: spurious .po updates

Sven Neumann (Sonntag, 18. Januar 2009, 17:04):
> Building the manual should never update any po files. If that is the
> case, then you guys should fix that. The update of po files should be
> left to the translators. That's how it works usually and there are
> good reasons to do it this way. Ulf, can you change this?

It should be no problem to change this, building html (& pdf, odf)
without updating anything.

For example, we can use make's conditional feature and change Makefiles
so that
	make [-f Makefile.GNU] html-xx
builds the manual without updating xml and/or po,
	make [-f Makefile.GNU] html-xx UPDATE=all (or: RELEASE=yes)
build manual with updating everything (current behaviour).
(Any better ideas are always welcome...)

But note that we lose a powerful make feature: updating exactly what has
to be updated.
Obviously updating po files automatically is a double-edged sword, but
without that feature working will be less comfortable.

BTW, other targets are affected as well, e.g. "make validate-xx" will
also update po and xml files if necessary.

So we probably would have to do everything manually:
make po-xx, make po/xx/path/to/pofile.po, etc.

Our next major task will be to merge po files (e.g. one po file per
directory). This won't solve anything, but should reduce the noise.

Bye,
Ulf