Re: GIMP manual writing in 2009

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:58:56PM +0200, Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
> Hi all :-)
> This looks to me to be a discussion among programmers or people thinking
> in the programmers way.
> Why not relax and start thinking from scratch, independent of what
> programs and editors etc. are valuable?
> When starting a project I usually put together a list something like this:
> 1. What do we need?
>   a. A database (DB) or similar containing all files necessary to build
> the help files. One DB for every language or one containing them all.
ok

>   b. A program for editing the files in the DB. (On my home computer,
> not directly on the DB).
could be done via web or using a disconnected editor/tool.

>   c. A program to automatically build the necessary html/dbf files for
> the end user every time the contents in the DB is changed for a
> particular language (if  the DB files are in another format than html).
yes

Missing:

d. a program that see for changes in the structure/reference language and
report it in all the languages affected to easy the revision control.

> 2. What do we have?
>   a. A DB containing the actual files in xml format. Every language in
> each file.
ok

>   b. Programs to automatically build the html and dbf files for each
> language.
ok

>   c. Some more or less usefully editors.
ok

> 3. What do I wish?
>   a. An editor showing the original language together with my language.
ok

> Also the possibility to read other languages at the same time at my own
> choose.
not necessary/so important. You can always compare the different language
results in html.

>   b. I should be able to set the editor to show one line, one paragraph
> or the whole page in each chosen language at will.
one line not necessary.

>   c. All or most of the necessary codes (tags)  generated by the editor.
> I only have to write the plain text.
yes but only for those willing to contribute without necessary skills.
This could be desiderable but not really necessary. The web interface is
IMHO the easiest method to do this.

>   d. If I'm an author, I also am able to write new original text or
> change it.
IMHO there are different types of authors with different tasks (but one
single person could be all the types at once...):
1) manual structure author
2) reference language author
3) local translation author

>   e. All up- and downloads to/from the DB is done automatically when I
> chose to do so.
transtlated: checkout/commit from/to svn

>   f. The whole system should be OS independent.
through the web interface is easy accomplished
but for the whole system is difficoult to implement in a non linux
environment...

g. the system should check automatically for updated/added/removed
paragraphs with list of ALL changes that affect ALL languages
(the sole tool that is able to manage this is the gettext tools/utils like
msgmrg, see for example intltool-update in the gnome environment)

> 4. Find programs to fulfill my wishes.
> (This is of course a very coarse listing, lots of details would be added
> if in real use).
done

> According to this list it seems that the greatest problem at the moment
> is the lack of an editor
mmmm no IMHO the lack of an AUTOMATIC revision control.

> This discussions remind me of the start of the computer era: We have
> invented a fantastic machine, what do we use it for?
> Well, I'm not a programmer, only a user. (Although I have written some
> short programs in different languages when needed to). The threshold for
> becoming a writer/author is at the moment too high.
I understand and agree.

> The golden question
> is how to lower this threshold? I used unnecessary  amount of time to
> learn how to do this and that before I even was able to do what I want
> to do: translate. (Thanks to you all and especially Julien for leading
> me step by step on the road to understanding).
Perhaps the web/wiki way is the easiest way...

> Perhaps I am out in the wilderness? Perhaps I have misunderstood the
> whole discussion? Perhaps the list is completed without my notice?
> Perhaps I should not sent this mail? Perhaps ...
> Kolbjørn
Thank you very much for this email!

bye

--