Re: GIMP manual writing in 2009

Hi Julien,

Am 12.06.2008 um 15:39 schrieb julien:

> Hi,
>
> GIMP UI strings are in gnome: 66 different .po. Each of them is often
> updated.

I don't see how the UI sting .po files are connected to the gimp-
help(.po) files. The UI strings are embedded in text in the gimp-
help.po, so no automatic detection or translation derived from the
UI .po files - right?

> It would be a real pity for the GIMP spreading to do without these 66
> experimented translators.

so, these translators are expected to do not only some dozens of
strings, but a couple hundred pages of text and images in the future?
Do they know that already?

> IMO, gimp-help must join the GNOME team. The gettext scenario is
> necessary.

Sorry, not convinced yet ;)

> The Wiki scenario will bring a lot of text editions. We can imagine
> that
> languages versions progressively will become independant from each
> others. Valuable things can be introduced in a language I can't
> understand. The unity of the gimp-help project will be broken.
> Is it easy to find what has changed in the Wiki?

You are right, in the wiki scenario the languages are not bound
together as tight as in the gettext scenario. But there simply is no
guarantee, that there is no additional information in the non english
text. There was not until now too by the way and for my taste the
content of all the languages are right not tight enough together.
Staying that close is from my POV rather a question of discipline that
of technique.

About the changes: there is a page (http://lexaikon.dnsalias.org/~medius/mediawiki/index.php/Special:Recentchanges
), even a .rss feed (feed://lexaikon.dnsalias.org/~medius/mediawiki/
index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss) that contains all the
changes. The rss feed can even display the diff inline. Please have a
look.
In addition to that all versions of an article can be compared to
eachother within the application.

Greetings lexA

> atb,
>
> Julien

- ---
/voodoo.css
#meinFeind {position: absolute; bottom: -6ft;}