Re: GIMP manual writing in 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 22:30 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

> I don't see how the UI sting .po files are connected to the gimp-
> help(.po) files. The UI strings are embedded in text in the gimp-
> help.po, so no automatic detection or translation derived from the
> UI .po files - right?

Not quite. There are tools that build a translation database from the po
files you feed it. You can build a database that has all translated UI
strings from GIMP, or even the whole GNOME project. This database will
then be used in your favorite po file editor to suggest translations.
This makes translations more consistent.

> so, these translators are expected to do not only some dozens of
> strings, but a couple hundred pages of text and images in the future?
> Do they know that already?

They are already doing that for a lot of user manuals. Look at
http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-user-docs for example.

Sven