Re: GIMP manual writing in 2009

Hi,

2008/6/12 Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:44 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

> Right now gimp calls the help by creating and opening an url that
> contains of some building blocks:

> Example 'file://user/me/here/is/the/gimp-help/html' / 'en' /
> 'gimp-tool-rect-select' '.html'

That's not correct. GIMP, or rather the help plug-in, parses the
gimp-help.xml file that is installed with the user manual for each
language. It uses this index to translate from help IDs to URIs. If the
respective URI is not available in the primary language, it tries to
locate it in the list of fallback locales specified by the user. This
defaults to 'en', in other words, the help ID is looked up in the
english version of the user manual.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have known this.
I assume it would be possible to adapt the help plug-in to a wiki based scenario. May be users with a stable online connection could even be routed to the online version of the wiki prior to the offline files and avoid the "hassle" of downloading the whole gimp-help package.

Greetings, lexA

Sven

--
life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you wanna get.