Re: Content verification and navigation analysis of the user manual?

Hi Michael,

Am 11.04.2007 um 15:33 schrieb Michael Schumacher:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm frequently pointing users to the manual from mailing lists,
> irc, usenet and forum posts. Sometimes, I discover entries in the
> manual that are

The GIMP community con really be proud of your engagement for all
kind of GIMP users! So, having the manual as a reliable source is how
we can support you.

> - wrong (fortunately, this doesn't happen frequently)
yeah, sometimes we are plain wrong (or simply outdated)

> - incomplete (a bit more frequently)
over 600 pages and still don't cover everything...

> - not easily reachable from a related page
Can you explain this please? There is a toc in front and an index in
the end of the manual (in over a dozen languages each). Additionally
there is a possibility to do a fulltext search online at
docs.gimp.org as well as the possibility to download the whole manual
as pdf and do a fulltext search offline.

> An example for the last item is the reason for this mail - I wanted
> to point someone at the blend tool docs and discovered that there
> is no link from http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-blend.html to an
> explanation of gradients or the gradient editor....
OK, this is obviously a flaw. And it is one that can be fixed easily.

> a site map that does show the links between pages could be useful
> for checking this.
um, a site map is a structured list (more a tree) like the toc is?!
Could you be a bit more specific about your needs please?

> The way to fix this would be to create a bug report (and either
> provide a patch or to wait if someone else does it).
Thats what bug filing is good for. We even have our own product by now!

> But I wonder if anything can be done to verify the docs in a more
> organized way.
There is, but this takes time. I guess the next big thing will be an
review for GIMP2.4, but starting this makes no sense until we have
reached a feature and GUI freeze in the 2.3 line.

> "Review" is probably the most obvious answer for the first two
> issues, the question is "What is the best way to do it?".
Right now it is _really_ important for me/us to learn about the
weaknesses of the manual, so if you file a bug about flaws _and_ let
us know about your ideas to enhance the manual is the best you can do.

Greetings, lexA

> Regards,
> Michael
> --
> "Feel free" - 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat ...
> Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen