Re: Content verification and navigation analysis of the user manual?

Michael Schumacher ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm frequently pointing users to the manual from mailing lists, irc, usenet and forum posts. Sometimes, I discover entries in the manual that are
>
> - wrong (fortunately, this doesn't happen frequently)
> - incomplete (a bit more frequently)
> - not easily reachable from a related page
>
> An example for the last item is the reason for this mail - I wanted to point someone at the blend tool docs and discovered that there is no link from http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-blend.html to an explanation of gradients or the gradient editor.... a site map that does show the links between pages could be useful for checking this.
>
> The way to fix this would be to create a bug report (and either provide a patch or to wait if someone else does it). But I wonder if anything can be done to verify the docs in a more organized way.

You can. The GIMP manual was added to the Gnome bugzilla not so long ago
(the module is called GIMP-manual) and there are 12 open bugs as of now.
Another way to report such things is to drop a line in the wiki
(http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/GimpDocsWip).
If you find some time please file your findings (especially wrong and
incomplete entries).

> "Review" is probably the most obvious answer for the first two issues, the question is "What is the best way to do it?".

I think that we are suffering from resource shortage, the manual is now
a beast of 500+ printed pages, it is translated into 12 languages (to
different degree of completeness) and a complete and thorough review
requires more eyes and hands. Maybe a more organized process is required?
I am currently reviewing the italian translation that is almost
completed and I will do my best to spot and correct some english parts
as well.

> Regards,
> Michael

Cheers