Re: proposal for section reordering

Hi Julien,

thanks for your thoughts about the structure of the reference
section. In general I agree with you. With only one difference: The
tools, as well as the dialogs[1] have a much more important than any
command to show or hide rulers. Therefore I think they should not be
placed at the very end of the part (as in your suggestion), but
instead moved out of the pure menu structure and put at the very
beginning of the reference part.

Greetings, lexA

[1]
A dialog in GIMP is defined roughly as anything that is dockable. So,
the dialog windows that pop up when you're saving a file or applying
a filter are not dialogs for that definition.

Am 12.02.2007 um 07:59 schrieb julien:

> You are right. The help is now (almost) complete, and we can have a
> general view over it.
> I agree with the changes you propose.
>
> My suggestion is about the GIMP function reference you didn't
> develop. I
> think it must reproduce the Toolbox and Image menus : only one
> structure
> for the interface and the help:
>
> III- The GIMP function reference
>     A. Toolbox Menu
>        1. File
>        2. Xtns
>        3. Help
>
>     B. Image Menu
>        1. File
>        2. Edit
>        3. Selection
>        4. Display
>        5. Image
>        6. Layer
>        7. Tools
>        8. Dialogs  (only dialogs listed in this menu entry)
>
>     C.Filters
>
> Greetings
>
> Julien
>
>> To make it short, I'd suggest the following structure instead (3rd
>> level stripped for readability reasons):
>> I. Getting started with The GIMP
>> 1. Introduction
>> 	1. Welcome to The GIMP project
>> 	2. What's New in The GIMP?
>>
>> 2. Fire up the GIMP
>> 	1. Running GIMP
>> 	2. Starting GIMP the first time
>> 	3. Main Windows in GIMP
>> 	4. Working with Images
>>
>> 3. Getting Unstuck
>> 	1. Stuck!
>> 	2. Common causes of GIMP non-responsiveness
>>
>> II. How do I become a GIMP wizard?
>>
>> 4. Concepts
>> 	1. Image concepts
>> 		3.1. Image types
>> 		3.2. QuickMask
>> 		3.3. Layers
>> 		3.4. Layer modes
>> 		3.5. The Selection
>> 		3.8. Paths
>>
>> 	2. User Interface concepts
>> 		x.x. Toolbox and image windows
>> 		x.x. Dialogs and Docking
>> 		3.7. Grids and Guides
>>
>> 	3. Workflow concepts
>> 		3.6. Undoing
>> 		3.9. Brushes
>> 		3.10. Gradients
>> 		3.11. Patterns
>> 		3.12. Palettes
>> 		3.13. Text and Fonts
>>
>> 	4. Extension concepts
>> 		1. Plugins
>> 		2. Script-Fu
>>
>> 5. Getting work done with GIMP
>> 	1. Getting an Image
>> 		1.1. Creating new Files
>> 		1.2. Opening Files
>> 		x.x. Scanning
>>
>> 	2. Creating and Using Selections
>> 		1. Using the Quickmask
>> 		3.1. Moving a Selection
>> 		3.2. Creating a Free Selection
>>
>> 	3. Working with Paths
>>
>> 	4. Working with Layers
>>
>> 	5. Drawing Simple Objects
>> 		2.1. Drawing a Straight Line
>> 		2.2. Creating a Basic Shape

> [...]

- ---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something
doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving
and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?