Re: patch problems

Hi Kolbjørn,

Am 24.01.2007 um 21:52 schrieb Kolbjørn Stuestøl:

>> This is probably due to the --dry-run option. Otherwise the .rej file
>> contains the lines of the patch that could not applied automatically.
>

> Yes, you are right. The manual however states that --dry-run
>  "Print the results of applying the patches without actually changing
>  any files". It would be of some help if the reject file where printed
>  out somewhere when using --dry-run? Is there another command
>  to force the printing?

not that I would know one, but applying a patch isn't that bad. If
you try to apply an applied patch, the patch command detects that and
asks you whether or not you'd like to REMOVE the applied patch! So
there is a chance to apply a patch, look what's going on and if
necessary you can remove it later.

>> In most cases you will be able to apply them by hand - at least that
>> is what I do when a patch fails in only for a couple (c)hunks.
>
> Good idea, but where (in what file) do I write the corrections?

Soo, if a patch fails (partially) for lets say my-tool.xml there will
be a my-tool.xml.orig containing the content of the file before
applying the patch and a my-tool.xml.rej file containing only that
lines of the patch that failed. So you just have to do the changes
listet in the .rej file to the .xml file by hand.

>> All our files should be UTF-8 encoded.
>>
> As a rule they of cource are.
>
> I have not found a solution or an explanation on the patch problem,
> but am
> working on it.

I got another patch from julien today, just a minute ago it was
applied. There where only a few minor issues - all related to the
revision date for the no entry. No clue why they failed. Seems
specially the revision section is a bit fragile for patching. May be
due to the fact that the different sections for each language are
_very_ similar?!

> Kolbjørn

Greetings, lexA

- ---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen