Re: patch problems

Hi Kolbjørn,

Am 20.01.2007 um 16:06 schrieb Kolbjørn Stuestøl:

> Hi folks
>
> At last I've made my first, wonderful svn diff files. I was in
> heaven until
> Julien (thanks!) made me aware of some errors in my patch file.
> Command: "patch --dry-run -p0 < gimp.patch > patch.txt" generated
> this error
> message :
>       patching file src/gimp.xml
>       Hunk #1 FAILED at 32.
>      1 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/
> gimp.xml.rej
>
> 1. Is the number in "Hunk #1 FAILED at 32" a line number? In case
> in what file?

No it's not. I can only guess: The changes in the patch file are
sorted out in hunks - meaning the change, together with some lines
that help the patch command to find the actual line to change when
the patch is applied later are called a hunk.

So, no chance to use the hunk number to get an idea. of where the
patch failed.

> 2. The promised file src/gimp.xml.rej is not saved anyplace. Is it
> possible to
> output this file somewhere?

This is probably due to the --dry-run option. Otherwise the .rej file
contains the lines of the patch that could not applied automatically.
In most cases you will be able to apply them by hand - at least that
is what I do when a patch fails in only for a couple (c)hunks.

> 3. Is there a method to capture those hunks for studying them?
> I'm not able to figure out what causes the error, but think
> studying those hunks
> (text blocks?) would help.

??

> I'm using Cygwin and Notepad++ set to UNIX format in Windows XP.
> Tried both ANSI and UTF-8.
> Found no differences in formatting between the accepted files and
> the rejected
> ones. Could I have forgotten something essential?

All our files should be UTF-8 encoded.

> Hoping someone is able to help me. This is my last barrier, I hope,
> on my way to
> do the entire job myself :)

hth lexA

> Kolbjørn Stuestøl

- ---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...
GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen