Re: ANNOUNCE: Gimp User Manual 0.11 released

Hello, I generally lurk here but this question of  "how to convey both version and relation" is interesting.

Consider a slight change in the format to make it easier to understand

  gimp-help-2.2-1

In my experience, Roman is spot on. If a 1:1 version mapping requires look up, or remembering even the simplest algorithm (e.g. gimp-2.4.x => gimp-help-1.4.x), many or most will not see the correlation, and not spend the time to look it up. Especially those the change is intended to help.

Axel's confusion around mapping the micro version number shows yet another stumbling block. The issue being that one schema is being used to express different information:

  gimp-2.2.3 => "gimp program", "major v2", "minor v2", "micro v3"
  gimp-help-2.2.1 => "gimp program, major v2, minor v2", "help documents", "version 1"

Changing the format may be enough to make the relation clear:

  gimp-help-2.2-1
  gimp-help-2.2-2

Current parsers will continue to recognize it, though interpret every release corresponding to a gimp release as a separate project, and each change as a major release.

  xxx-2.2-1 => " gimp-help-2.2", "major 1"
  xxx-2.2-2 => "gimp-help-2.2", "major 2"
  xxx-2.4-1 => "gimp-help-2.4", "major 1"

Hardly a major issue, but feels odd to me too, I suppose that's because we don't' see many projects that are so tightly coupled to another. I think package managers use a similar scheme though (e.g. rpms and whatnot).

Sven's suggestion of waiting until the next gimp release is very sensible.

...Chad