Re: [Gimp-docs] Migration path to xml2po

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:17:59AM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:
> Hello Nickolay, Marco and All -
>
> >I personally agree but, how do you think to resolve the glossary problem?
>
> Marco, I'm not sure what glossary problem you refer to. :-(  Can you
> elaborate, please?
The glossary problem is this: all the manual could (and IMHO should) be a
one (english) to many translation. This is the best thing (TM) because in
this manner there is one and only one reference, in a language that everyone
can understand. But...the glossary is complicated by the fact that it contains
the explanation of _native_ language definitions and terms that:

1) has not he same first letter than in english, so the order is different
2) sometimes a technical term exist only in one language
3) there was terms better explained in different languages than in english

The first problem could be resolved keeping the english definitions as a
reference, as I tried to propose in an old message, with the help of a
special xml tag like gloss_term_letter="f" (perhaps in a special comment)
and with the help of some (python?) scripting to compile a nationalized
glossary, ordered by that foreign letters.

The second is simple. Erase the terms that exists in just one language or do
not exist in english. Perhaps this problem do not apply since such terms
does not exists in the glossary right now.

The third is just a matter of asking the translators to contribute in the
english version of the manual. If they fear to write bad english, no
problem: some native english writer will apply the corrections.

bye

--

Marco Ciampa