RE: [Gimp-docs] Migration path to xml2po

Hello Nickolay, Marco and All -

>What about moving all gimp-help to xml2po way of translation? That
>will certainly make translation process more managable

I'm not familiar with these tools, so I am eager to follow the discussions.
It seems to me that as more languages are added, the files get bigger and
less manageable -- and it gets harder and harder to find a "corner" of
the doc tree to work in.

>1. We'll lower translation contribution barrier. Translation process
>   will be faster since translators won't care about docbook and will
>   just use existing tools.

As long as the "existing tools" means just text editors and such. :-)

>1. Translator that use po files will have to precisely follow English
>   content. Note, that it still will be possible to write additional
>    translated content directly in source files, so I think it's a minor
>    problem.

I must note that when I've been updating the English, I've also looked
at the content of other languages to see if there's anything I can add
to the English at the same time. :-)  Would this still be possible?

>2. Development will require additional tools - python and libxml2-
>python. I think it's a minor requirement.

See my previous comment.  I don't build or validate my files at all.
I simply download them from viewcvs, edit them, and send them to
Julien for validation (and they ultimately go to Axel for commit).
I don't have or use the tools you mentioned.  Is it still possible
for me to contribute with this scheme?

>I personally agree but, how do you think to resolve the glossary problem?

Marco, I'm not sure what glossary problem you refer to. :-(  Can you
elaborate, please?

Between early versions of Gimp and 2.0 (?) there was a major change in
the documentation toolset, so I understand.  Perhaps this could be
considered at the next update of Gimp (2.4?), so the current arrangement
isn't disturbed for now.  Just a thought.

Thank you very much for thinking about the issues and coming up with a
proposal.

Regards,

Sally