RE: [Gimp-docs] Migration path to xml2po

В Птн, 22/09/2006 в 08:17 -0400, Sally C. Barry пишет:
> Hello Nickolay, Marco and All -
>
> >What about moving all gimp-help to xml2po way of translation? That
> >will certainly make translation process more managable
>
> I'm not familiar with these tools, so I am eager to follow the discussions.
> It seems to me that as more languages are added, the files get bigger and
> less manageable -- and it gets harder and harder to find a "corner" of
> the doc tree to work in.

Probably you would like to read about gettext and po files
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html#SEC161

In short, translations are committed to special text files in po subdir
and later merged into the source. When source is updated, po files can
be updated. New strings will be marked for translation and strings that
changed a bit will be invalidated.

> >1. We'll lower translation contribution barrier. Translation process
> >   will be faster since translators won't care about docbook and will
> >   just use existing tools.
>
> As long as the "existing tools" means just text editors and such. :-)

For you as a content writer the tools will include only editors,
translators will use editors too, but will benefit from using many
translation tools like KBabel and poedit.

> >1. Translator that use po files will have to precisely follow English
> >   content. Note, that it still will be possible to write additional
> >    translated content directly in source files, so I think it's a minor
> >    problem.
>
> I must note that when I've been updating the English, I've also looked
> at the content of other languages to see if there's anything I can add
> to the English at the same time. :-)  Would this still be possible?

One content that differs from English content will stay in docbook files
so yes, it will be possible. We'll remove only content that precisely
follows english version but not at once.

> >2. Development will require additional tools - python and libxml2-
> >python. I think it's a minor requirement.
>
> See my previous comment.  I don't build or validate my files at all.
> I simply download them from viewcvs, edit them, and send them to
> Julien for validation (and they ultimately go to Axel for commit).
> I don't have or use the tools you mentioned.  Is it still possible
> for me to contribute with this scheme?

Let me describe the ways contributors will work with gimp-help

1. Unexperienced content writer will checkout docbook from CVS, edit
files and send patches to experienced content writer. The same way as
now

2. Experienced content writer will accept patches, validate them and
commit.

3. Unexperienced translator will checkout po files from CVS, translate
them in text editor and even in web-based tool like rosetta
https://launchpad.net/rosetta

4. Experienced translator will install python and libxml2-python, will
create po files, will add content and mark some sections for translation
with lang attribute. Will accept patches for po file and after
validation of the result will commit them.

> >I personally agree but, how do you think to resolve the glossary problem?
>
> Marco, I'm not sure what glossary problem you refer to. :-(  Can you
> elaborate, please?

Me to, I don't quite understand what's the problem with glossary. The
old terms will stay on the same place. Although I think glossary entries
should be common for all languages.

> Between early versions of Gimp and 2.0 (?) there was a major change in
> the documentation toolset, so I understand.  Perhaps this could be
> considered at the next update of Gimp (2.4?), so the current arrangement
> isn't disturbed for now.  Just a thought.

Well, it won't be the major change. You'll still be able to work using
the same tools and process. Only new translators will benefit from it.

> Thank you very much for thinking about the issues and coming up with a
> proposal.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sally

Description: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?=