FW: [Gimp-docs] editors

Hi All -

Sorry, I forgot to send some of my correspondence to the list.

I sent this to Daniel:
 ---
>Actually there's a very nice vim implementation for Windows.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not really looking to find something to
work on Windows. :-)  Although I'm perfectly willing to use it on
Linux, it's not really my favorite editor.

I'm just asking, if I wanted to edit something on Linux -- using vi --
what would I need to do to set it up so it would properly handle the
UTF-8 character encodings, and whatever else we need to do to keep
cvs happy with the files?  I did some reading of the man pages, and
found out about stuff like

 :let &termencoding = &encoding
 :set encoding= utf-8

but I don't really know how it works and if the resulting files are
actually acceptable to cvs.

For now, I guess I'll just stick with Notepad++ on Windows, but I
was just curious.
 --

 and he responded:

 ---
>  :let &termencoding = &encoding
>  :set encoding= utf-8

> but I don't really know how it works and if the resulting files are
> actually acceptable to cvs.

That would be fine. Actually VIM in Windows has also menus which
allow for a comfortable setup and use (comfortable for someone not
used to the command line) still preserving the usual editing
possibilities.

> For now, I guess I'll just stick with Notepad++ on Windows, but I
> was just curious.

No problem. ;)
 ---

Just in case anyone else is interested...

Sally