Re: [Gimp-docs] Glossary - visual class (again)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 00:45 -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

> I'm still considering writing a short entry on "visual class" and/or
> "True Color" in the Glossary, although I don't want to go into
> all of the details of what the X Window System means by this.

I don't think that this is information that the user should be worrying
about. Especially since most users nowadays are probably using a
TrueColor visual anyway.

> Dust's response indirectly reminded me that Gimp is running on
> Gtk, even when it is on a Windows PC.  I am terribly ignorant of
> how exactly Gtk does this.  Is there some sort of "X Server" that
> runs on top of MS Windows, so the visual class displayed in the
> Info Window really, truly *is* exactly the same visual class that
> I am familiar with in X?

No, there is no X server involved and there are differences but these
differences are far beyond what belongs into the user manual.

Note that the development version of GIMP doesn't even show the visual
type in the Info window any longer. So, if you want my advice on this,
remove this part from the user manual as well.

Sven