Re: [Gimp-docs] Glossary

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 01:09:22PM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:
> Hello Gimp-doc people!
>
> The Glossary is the first section of the Gimp documents which I looked
> at.  (I may need to go back to it again in the future, since I learned
> more about it as I went along.)  There are a couple of issues that
> came up when I was going through the Glossary, which it might be good
> to discuss on the list.
>
> I found out that the German version had many glossentries which weren't
> in the English version, and also many glossentries which were quite
> different (and more informative) in the German version.  (If you did
> that, Axel, thank you!)
>
> I tried to translate the German changes back into English.  One possible
> issue with doing this is that other languages may also want to make
> similar changes to their glossentries, and that's a lot of work!
Thank you very much if you start this very important and large piece of
work! Its much appreciated!

> A large number of the newer German glossentries refer to the German
> version of Wikipedia.  Sometimes they refer the reader to Wikipedia
> for more information and sometimes they cite Wikipedia as the source
> of the information.
>
> Roman suggested that we discuss the issues involved in this on the
> mailing list, so that we might come up with a useful policy.
>
> I see these issues (for and against) the German Wikipedia references.
>
>  - Wikipedia can change at any moment, making the references
>    invalid or doubtful.
Yes but IMHO those entries in the future will be (for most if not all
entries) even more precise and/or completed, not
absent.

>  - Citing the German Wikipedia entries in the English glossentries
>    (or those of other languages) isn't much use because:
>
>    - Not many non-German-language readers can understand German.
right

>    - The corresponding non-German Wikipedia entries (for example,
>      English) may be very different from the German one, so we
>      can't just change the references to (English/French/Czech/etc.)
right

>  - We don't want to violate anyone's copyright by using their
>    material without a reference.
should be no problem at all using a link to wikipedia..."All text is
available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License." as gimp
docs...

>  - Is it really useful for the Gimp document readers to have to
>    refer to further information somewhere else?
Yes, I found it veeery interesting

> But if not, how
>    extensively should the Gimp docs go into specific topics?
just the right! ;-)

> One possibility would be to cite Wikipedia once at the top of the
> Glossary for more information?
Could be a good compromise. But I would ask someother in this list..

> Thank you in advance for your ideas and suggestions.
The most important thing to do (IMVHO) is to create a document structure in the
english version of the manual, coherent with the good german version. The en
version is paramount for all the others languages since it is very useful as
a common template for all translators. The quality of the en text is not so
important in respect of the solid structure that the en text should have.

bye

--

Marco Ciampa