Re: [Gimp-docs] To all tanslators

Dear Jakub,

> > But it's _MUCH_ simpler!!!
>
> i do not think so. i work at many different manuals, but no one is done in
> this way
And...? If all that the majority of people do was right I were using Windows
instead of Linux now... :-)

> > Please don't!
> > Translating is one thing, restructuring the manual, another.
>
> there is no need for word by word translation. sometimes non english content
> is ahead of english.
ok I believe you since I'll never know. I cannot understand Czech so all the
work done in that language for my language is lost...and _this_ is really
bad.

>  sometimes english is not as good as it can be - yes
> content from other languages should be translated into english then, but
> i do not expect it to happen always
If it does not happen always it will happen sometimes...
The effort multiplied for the number of other languages that that effort
could affect and the benefits related outweight the missing chapters...
If I write a little thing but that chapter is then translated in, say, seven
different languages, what an improvement!

> > What if some languages different from english take different directions?
>
> what is problem with it? as long as it results in a functional, usable,
> good manual, there is no problem with it
the loss of a cross reference is a great loss...think about it...
And consider that the more people are affected by a central template the
more are those people involved in improving it and the better it became for
all of us...
The power of development is stricted related to the size and cohesion of the
team. More indipendents teams that _do not_ work on the same project, the
more weak the common project is...
National teams are a resource for all of us if they can work toghether...

> > I know that this is more an organizative problem, not really technical but
> > I do not consider it a good idea if it means to produce different versions
> > of the manual, one per language. The python scripts are already there and
> > working (well) to do the job but, before the split we should consider
> > seriously the organizative problem. It definitely should never happen to
> > have some, say german or chinese content, not present in the english manual
>
> it will happen (and it already happened) unless you enforce strict translation
> of the english content policy.
I see that many 'deviations' are going to be less then in the past, the more
languages are coming in...
It is like with Linux: the more distros are outthere, the more important
become to have a commong ground and more standardizations efforts are
being born...

> i do not agree with that (and i wouldnt enjoy
> working like that, that would mean that all my future contributions will be
> english and czech version will be dead - until new translator is found)
sound like a promise? :-) noone is asking you to write in english. Just,
when you find some interesting things written in Czech, that are missing try to translate
those contents in english too, please!
Your effort will be very very appreciated by all the comunity at large, thanks!

--

Marco Ciampa