Re: [Gimp-docs] image resolution in pdf/html files

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:38:26PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Am 09.01.2006 um 19:01 schrieb Marco Ciampa:
>
> >First of all: I'm not an expert...be gentle!
> we do - as we do always - don't we :)
>
> >I've just noted that the 4 images present in images/using/ui-* are
> >horribly scaled. A quick view at the english-pdf file showed me the
> >reason since I tryed to create the same snapshots for the italian
> >version and endedup with a pdf file with the images going outside
> >the a4
> >margins. So the question is:
>
> No images are scaled for the pdf production recently. What I (we) did
> was to set a different print *resolution* which always is "pixel per
> something". So no pixel at all was harmed by this action !!
But the images images/using/ui-* actually _are_ scaled, and in an
horrible way! Check by yourself!
If you do not mind I can correct the thing with the next checkout.

> > - why not leaving the 1by1 pixel in the image?
> >   is it not possible to use a tag (for example) to tell the latex
> >that
> >   that image must be scaled (for example by 1/2 or 1/3) for the
> >printable
> >   version? In this manner the html pages _and_ the pdf pages would
> >be better
> >   looking!
>
> Setting the print resolution means to define a real size for the
> image in tex (pdf) without changing anything in the html output. Sure
> one could also double each figure in the docbook and define one to be
> used in html and on in tex (pdf), but this is very messy and puts
> some kind of stylesheet into the xml. The whole idea of docbook is to
> *separate* content and style, so its obviously not a good idea to do
> the scaling in the xml files.
You are absolutely right! I've managed to change the print resolution of
the images to best values for the purpouse and it worked like a sharm.
It seems that who created the aforementioned images was not aware of the
right way to do this operation.

> > - from the starting point that there are very important reasons not
> >   easily circunventeable to do in such manner, what are the
> >   rule of thumb for creating an image good for both the html _and_
> >   the pdf versions?
> >   Limits in pixel? Valid either for A4 than Letter?
> >   Or for now it is best to simply do a try-compile-view cycle?
> >   The "Hints for making good screenshots" in the
> >   "TipsForContributing"
> >   do not mention this problem and I think that, whatever you experts
> >   decide, it is worth to ad a note..
>
> Just do the figures as you did them in the past. Screenshots go 1:1
> into the html. There is a rule of thumb, that for the html the width
> should not exceed 600px (IIRC). Additionally set the print resolution
> to 144dpi and you are done. The only exception is if you have
> examples that are very tiny (as most of the wilber examples are) or
> you have some very tiny screen snippets (as some details from a
> dialog window for example) - for them just leave the print resolution
> unchanged (72dpi). When the tex (pdf) version of the manual is
> produced, we'll have a critical view to image sizes anyway so if
> there are further changes needed they can be done afterwards.
>
> Hope that brought some light to the issue...
Axel, you were simply brilliant!

I'll complete the wikipage too since I think that this issue is
pretty important.

--

Marco Ciampa