Re: Let me introduce myself

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM, (Ry)akiotakis (An)tonis
<kalast@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone my name is Ryakiotakis Antonis (Ryan for short) and I
> decided to write to this list after reading an announcement on
> gimp.org about new developers in need. My expertise is on OpenGL and I
> have wondered if GEGL is going to be hardware-accelerated through
> OpenGL. If so maybe I could help? I have read an earlier discussion on
> this list but I don't know the current direction in development, ways
> to contribute etc..

There is a branch of GEGL that does rendering in OpenGL,
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gegl/log/?h=gsoc2009-gpu that implements a
hybrid memory manager that automatically migrates the tiles of buffers
between cpu/gpu domain on demand. This was implemented as part of a
google summer of code project but was never fully integrated; since I
do not have OpenGL drivers that support floating point render targets
which is required to fully use OpenGL with GEGL. The code is proof of
concept but I believe that the approach is the correct way of using
OpenGL with GEGL (a similar approach could probably be taken with
OpenCL). Continued work, cleanup and verification of this branch would
be very welcome.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                           http://ffii.org/