Re: various blurs

Could you explain how the tests work, it's not obvious to me what I need to add. Do the tests make sure that the results match a reference image in some way?

As for the alternative gaussian implementation, it was not my intention that we should keep both, only that interested parties may wish to compare them side by side before deciding which to keep and which to ditch. Quality wise, I don't think there's any difference between the two, and personally I think the new implementation has a number of benefits, not the least of which is that it works robustly for all blur sizes, and that the code is trivial. Whether an 'exact' gaussian is a requirement over a close approximation I didn't feel qualified to answer.
I may be inventing a contention that isn't there, but I didn't want to just throw out the old implementation without discussion.

Cheers,
Andy.

On 19 January 2011 06:43, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/18/2011 11:43 PM, andy gill wrote:
> I've attached 3 more patches, they are:
>
> box-blur. it's now a good deal faster, and also properly supports
> fractional blur widths.
>
> fast gaussian blur. this is implemented as 3 box filters in series. it
> approximates a gaussian fairly closely, visually I can't tell the
> difference between this and the current gaussian blur, although the
> units don't match exactly. I've put it in a separate file to allow easy
> comparisons while we decide whether it's worth keeping.
>
> pixelise. a simple pixelise filter like the one in gimp currently.

Thanks!

You should add regression tests though. In GEGL it's very simple, see
tests/compositions. We have a BuildBot that runs all tests every night.

And IMO, we should not have two gaussian blur implementations, we should
only have a single high-quality one, so I suggest you try to merge the two.

Best regards,
Martin

--

My GIMP Blog: