Re: gsoc2010: a collection of filters for GEGL

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:16 AM, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1. While GEGL has excellent support for high depth colour spaces, there
>> are few examples of filters which take advantage of this explicitly. I
>> would be interested in implementing (or porting) a collection of tone
>> mapping operators as native GEGL filters.
> This leads me to wonder what kind of operation the GEGL 'tone-map' op
> currently performs.

That op has been removed, I have some experimental (not commited to
git yet) code that revisits the ideas that originally were employed in
that op, another place where some of the concepts of this op is
manifested is in the gegl:stress op (which is stochastic and noisy for
low iterations/reasonable processing times.)

>> 3. The matting of #2 could segue nicely into an implementation of image
>> completion/inpainting (which is receiving more public exposure due to
>> similar techniques in the upcoming Adobe CS5).
>
> GMIC and Resynthesizer already do this.
> Perhaps they could do it faster or better.

GMIC and resynthesizer do some of these things with some approaches,
netiher of them do it as GEGL ops nor are they usable for GIMP or
other applications as GEGL operations. Thus from a purely GEGL based
view no such functionality is available.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/