Re: gsoc2010: a collection of filters for GEGL

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:46:49 +0930
David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 1. While GEGL has excellent support for high depth colour spaces,
> > there are few examples of filters which take advantage of this
> > explicitly. I would be interested in implementing (or porting) a
> > collection of tone mapping operators as native GEGL filters.
> This leads me to wonder what kind of operation the GEGL 'tone-map' op
> currently performs.

Different operators produce different effects. It is often desirable to
select one which imparts a specific look to the end image. Having a
selection would be beneficial.

> > 2. Image matting techniques with trimaps, such as the closed form of
> > Levin et. al., have very interesting applications for end users. I
> > would be interested in implementing one such technique and further
> > filters applying it (such as haze removal and spatially varying
> > white balance).
> >
> > 3. The matting of #2 could segue nicely into an implementation of
> > image completion/inpainting (which is receiving more public
> > exposure due to similar techniques in the upcoming Adobe CS5).
>
> GMIC and Resynthesizer already do this.
> Perhaps they could do it faster or better.

Most likely they could do the completion/inpainting operations more
efficiently. However my interest is more in the matting operators, and
subsequently application of them.

I was mostly interested in inpainting as a target application of
matting. However, it's excellent note that it is less attractive to
target this action given resynthesizer and GMIC.

- Danny