gsoc2010: a collection of filters for GEGL

Hi all,

I am a PhD candidate at the Australian National University, currently
creating and evaluating performance profiling tools for NUMA systems.
I have always had an interest in the realm of graphics, though I have
only managed minor patches for GEGL/BABL in the past.

As the deadline for gsoc2010 applications is far too rapidly
approaching, I was curious about thoughts on another alternative
proposal: implementing a collection or series of related filters.

I have a selection of ideas which I have briefly investigated, and may
be of interest:

1. While GEGL has excellent support for high depth colour spaces, there
are few examples of filters which take advantage of this explicitly. I
would be interested in implementing (or porting) a collection of tone
mapping operators as native GEGL filters.

2. Image matting techniques with trimaps, such as the closed form of
Levin et. al., have very interesting applications for end users. I
would be interested in implementing one such technique and further
filters applying it (such as haze removal and spatially varying white
balance).

3. The matting of #2 could segue nicely into an implementation of image
completion/inpainting (which is receiving more public exposure due to
similar techniques in the upcoming Adobe CS5).

I'm not quite clear on the level of complexity required for a gsoc
proposal so I have left the extent and combination of ideas open.
I would be open to further suggestions for this style of proposal, and
shall use any input for a more concrete proposal if there is interest.

I'll try to catch some people on IRC (under the nick 'eNGIMa') to
discuss the idea's desirability.

Many thanks for your consideration,
- Danny Robson